Sunday, May 16, 2010

SIMPLE but delicious pasta dish

I've been vegetarian for a long time.  And I admit that I wasn't always a healthy one.  But I realized at some point that the quality of my life was definitely affected by the quality of my diet.  So now I try very hard to make food that is delicious AND nutritious for my family. Some of my friends have been wanting to try vegetarian, or at least to include more veggie food in their diets.  I always promise support and get requests for recipes, but it seems so difficult to send recipes to individuals.  So I thought I'd start posting simple recipes that just about anybody could feel comfortable with.  

I'm not going to go off on a diatribe about how whole foods, organics, and local produce are the best. They are.  But I also realize that people do the best they can with the time/resources available to them.  So, while the following recipe would be amazing with fresh ingredients (like fresh tomatoes and basil), I have included an easier, no-less-delicious, quick version utilizing canned food.  I call it Whatever's in Your Cupboard Pasta, because that's how I usually make it. You can add and subtract veggies and spices as you see fit.  This is just an easy dish that takes pasta in a slightly less boring direction.  

Whatever's in Your Cupboard Pasta!

Garlic ( I am a garlic lover and usually use about 4 large cloves, but you can use as much or little as you like)
1/2 onion (red, yellow, or white- whatever tickles your fancy)
Olive oil
Oregano
Basil
Sliced red pepper (you can also sub. jarred roasted red/yellow pepper)
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes- DON'T DRAIN
8 oz. jar artichoke hearts
Capers (a couple of tablespoons- capers have a strong flavor so use as many or few as you like)
1 lb. pasta of your choice

Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.  Meanwhile...

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over med.high heat (go light on the oil) until soft.  Add oregano and basil.  Add red pepper if using, saute for about 3 more minutes.  Add garbanzo beans and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.  Add diced tomatoes with juice.  Turn heat down to med.low.  Add artichoke hearts.  Cook for at least 5 more minutes.  If you can cook it for longer, the flavors will have more of a chance to marry, but if you're in a hurry you can eat it now and still have a delicious dish.  Add capers about 1 minute before you are done cooking.

Once you have drained the pasta, add it to the garbanzo/tomato/artichoke pan and toss.  Simple, easy, delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment