Friday, May 10, 2013

Vegan Carrot Cupcakes

It's little man's birthday on Sunday.  And Mother's Day.  So we're celebrating on Saturday instead.  I'm not selfish- I really just want the other mothers to be able to enjoy themselves instead of focusing on my child.   And maybe I am just a wee bit selfish.  Is it too much to ask to want to sleep in for one day?! And let's face it- he's going to be 1, he won't know the difference.  And maybe I'll get some sleep, or at least stay in bed.  By myself.  For at least 10 precious minutes.

Anyhoo, I decided to make him carrot cupcakes.  Looking for recipes, I was wholly dissatisfied with all of the sugar in every recipe I found.  Of course, with the limited time of a mom with two small (but EXTREMELY active) boys, I'm sure I missed some kick-ass recipes already out there that didn't contain a butt load of sugar.  Long story short, I decided to make my own.  I  know that it's his special day, and perhaps I shouldn't worry about the sugar.  But after seeing the consequences of sugar with chico numero uno, I would like to give the entire neighborhood a break and keep them from our craziness.

Recipe

3 Tbsp. ground flax meal
1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. oil
4 pitted dates
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 1/2 c. peeled and shredded carrots
3/4 c. raisins (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line a muffin tin (or mini muffin tin) with liners or spray with oil to prevent sticking.

Blend the flax meal and water in a food processor or blender.  Add the dates and continue to blend for a couple of minutes.  Combine with the oil and maple syrup.  Add this mixture to the carrots in a small bowl.

In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.  Mix in the carrot mixture until just combined.

Pour into the muffin tins and pop into the oven.  Bake for about 18 minutes.  You know the drill- test the center with a toothpick to see if they're done.  If the toothpick comes out clean- you win!






No comments:

Post a Comment